Thursday, September 24, 2009

the last one...

Coming into this class, I honestly had no idea that it would have anything to do with blogging, or the Internet for that matter. I thought I would just come in, listen to endless lectures, write a few papers, cry over those papers, eventually correct those papers, and in the end earn my credit. However, this class has been made into something very interesting through the incorporation of the blogs and use of the internet.

At first, I was skeptical. I did not like how this class was not conventional and was far from what I was custom to in all my previous classes. I knew this was college, and it is extremely different than high school, but having my professor assign blog posts, now this was something unexpected. However, I find that I have learned more than just how to post things online through Blogger. Through the different articles we read (Sullivan, Carr, Hedges, etc.) I began to see that writing was viewed in many different ways than what I was taught growing up. Although the articles were simply critics going on about their beliefs and opinions, it was interesting to see just how they were able to defend their argument. I enjoyed finding that I really dove into the articles, sometimes feeling extreme anger or disgust with an author, and completely agreeing with others. I can’t really find anything that I think was too displeasing about this experience. Yes, Hedges offended me to the point where I felt like burning his article, but that was just his opinion, and it was quite humorous. I didn’t particularly hate that experience, or that author, I just didn’t agree with him.

I know my opinion on blogging and the Internet has changed. I know I don’t feel as guilty every time I venture to the Internet, thinking that I could be doing something more productive than just sitting in front of a computer screen writing an email to a friend. The writing I do has more meaning now and isn’t useless, as I used to consider it. All writing, whether on blogs, email, essays, journals, or any other type has some significance, to someone.

1 comment:

  1. Entertaining post, Alex. I can appreciate your skepticism and that you engaged the readings. That's just what I was hoping to see.

    ReplyDelete